As the new school term kicks off, and our children are bringing home term planners, homework and school projects many are also bringing home the sniffles and blocked noses.
“As the weather starts to get colder, seasonal colds and flu start to make the rounds in the classroom. Schools are often known as the one place where germs can spread easily due to the number of children in one place,” explains Bronwyn Ragavan, brand manager for Karvol. “Our children are so comfortable in their school environment that they often forget their personal space and hygiene education.”
Being wary of hygiene and the spreading of germs should be discussed about with our children at home and at school, so that they know what they need to do to keep themselves and others around them healthy. Ragavan suggests teaching children, big and small, the importance of practising the following tips at school:
1. If your child is not feeling well, keep them at home. This is for their own wellbeing and that of others in their class. Give your child a chance to heal and get stronger before returning to school.
2. Wash their hands. It seems like common knowledge, and many parents teach their children this from a young age. However, when a child is late for class or playing with their friends, washing their hands before they eat, or after using the bathroom is the last thing on their mind. Keeping sanitary wipes in their bags is a good idea for a quick clean in between classes.
3. When they sneeze and cough they must cover their mouths. Teaching this simple lesson to your child is a great way to stop germs from spreading. It is also important for them to wash their hands afterwards as well. Any tissues used must be discarded into the bin straight away.
4. Use a decongestant to unblock your child’s nose and help them to breathe more easily. Karvol’s decongestant range is perfect for the entire family – young to old. Using the Karvol rub on their chest or adding a few drops of Karvol onto a cloth handkerchief, which they can take to school and breathe in during the day, is a great way for a child to feel better. The basic ingredients in Karvol, such as aromatic oils like eucalyptus, camphor, thymol, lavender and menthol which when released actively work together can help with the symptoms of congestion, providing easy breathing and a clear head.
5. Do not touch your classmates’ faces. There is no need to touch someone else’s face or let them touch yours, especially since you don’t know if their hands are clean. Germs can easily spread this way.
6. When it comes to keeping your child healthy at home, drinking water and staying hydrated throughout the day, as well as including fruits, vegetables and lean meats/protein in their diets can help boost their immune systems and help them feel their best.