A nutritious meal-in-one, loved by young and old. An ideal vegetarian choice.
- chopping board
- small sharp knife
- measuring spoons
- measuring cup
- tin opener
- large saucepan
- large soup ladle
- 2 leeks, well washed and sliced
- ½ teaspoon (2.5ml) Ina Paarman’s Green Onion Seasoning
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) olive oil
- 4 large carrots, coarsely grated
- 1 baby cabbage, finely sliced
- 400g tin of tomatoes
- 6 cups (1.5 litres) boiling water
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) Ina Paarman’s Chicken Stock Powder
- ¾ cup (180ml) small shell noodles
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) Ina Paarman’s Roast Onion Soup & Gravy Powder
- ¼ cup (60ml) cold water
- 1 cup (250ml) frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) chopped parsley
This soup improves with keeping. Prepare the day before and keep refrigerated, it will also freeze well. Remember, both the powdered Chicken and Beef Stocks are vegan.
- Sauté the leeks, seasoned with Green Onion Seasoning, in the olive oil until soft and glazed.
- Add the carrots, cabbage and tomatoes.
- Add the boiling water, Chicken Stock Powder and noodles. Simmer gently for 20 minutes.
- Mix the Soup & Gravy Powder with the cold water until you have a smooth paste.
- Add this mixture, together with the peas, to the soup. Cook for a further 10 minutes.
- Taste for seasoning and add chopped parsley.
- Serve piping hot with crusty bread to mop up every last drop.